Saturday, May 14, 2011

Arab Spring


It's spring in Doha, and throughout the Arab world.

The air is filled with sand...shimmering heat....and democracy.  Well, maybe the breezes have not yet blown democracy into Doha, but democratic aspirations are swirling around the Gulf.

So I wonder: what will come out of the fragile shell?


Will there by a sunny upside -- or a sunny side up?


Will many eggs be broken before the omelette is done?


Will just the broken shells be left?

Who knows?  Eggs can be tricky: they can form the perfect souffle or the perfect stench.

The students in my "Ethics and Values in Public Policy" class -- middle easterners, all -- will have much to teach me, and I hope to learn from them.

I do hope I can tell them apart.  My class's photo roster indicates they all look like Jack the Bulldog.

Time to finish the syllabus.  Class begins tomorrow morning, Sunday May 15, at 9.45 a.m. Qatar time.  I wonder what the air will be like....

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you started blogging. And I love the metaphor.

    ReplyDelete